Sunday, August 1, 2010

Evergreen Town Race - 10k

I ran the Evergreen Town Race 10k today. 42:25. A 10K PR by 1 Second from Boulder 2009.

This was a really fun course. Starts 6.2 Miles out from Evergreen lake, mainly on Upper Bear Canyon Road. 7600 feet Elevation at the start and 7050 at the finish, 550 feet of elevation drop over 6.2 miles. It is a windy course that runs along the creek with some great views and some really nice homes along the way. It's a fast course. The Colorado 5k road record of 14:07 was set on the 2nd half of the course. This was a chip race, but no starting line receiver, so everyone ran gun time. That cost me about 10 seconds, I started my Garmin about 5 seconds before I crossed the start line.

Despite having a PR by 1 second I was disappointed in my results. For this course I should have been closer to 40 minutes. I was pushing myself but could not get my pace down to 6:30 and hold it. At mile 4 I was losing pace. I think my lack of Middle 3's and tempo 7's training runs have cost me some middle distance speed.

Zach ran the 5k and smashed his PR, he ran an 18:16. Taking 50 seconds off his 5k PR. He said he ran hard, but not all out and had some left. The start cost him about 10 seconds from the chip. Congratulations Zach you are doing great, keep it up.

We rode to the race with my sister Kim, Toby and Dan who all did the 5k. It's a bit different in that the parking and the bus pickup are different for the 5k and 10k and the race finish requires you to ride a bus back to the parking areas. Kim dropped me off for the 10k and then they went to the 5k. Problem is the 10k starts at 8:45 and the 5k at 8. So I had a long time to wait for the buses to start picking up. Nice morning though. Saw a lot of familiar faces at the start.


Nice Post Race party at the park by the lake there, live band, good food and beer. They promised a technical race shirt, but it was just a black cotton shirt, nothing technical about it. That was the only negative. I will have to put this race on my schedule for next year, it's a keeper

Garmin Watch Data for Race

Evergreen Town Race 10K Results

.

1 comment: