Sunday, February 14, 2010

10.5 Mile Snow Run

My plan for the day was a 10 mile tempo run with a target 7 min/mile pace.

I woke up this morning to 4 inches of snow on the ground and it was still snowing hard. It was cloudy and cold, in the 20's.

Obviously not ideal conditions for a tempo run. So I decided to run in the snow and push the "snow pace" as best I could.

I put on my Yax Trax and headed out about 9:00, it was still snowing, but not quite as hard.

I did an out and back from my house to the Porta Potti at the 5 1/2 mile mark.
The Yak Trax did good for the conditions, but I could not get a good pace going, it was a light snow, but it slowed me down to a 9 minute mile pace although I was working relatively hard or so I thought (should have had a HRM on).

I did a few miles in the 8:30 range where it was flat and open in the park. There were spurts where I felt really good and in a zone. There were spurts where I felt sluggish and seriously doubted I would have been able to maintain a tempo pace. A bit discouraging considering it was an easy week and I had only run 4 days this week.


On the way out at about 4 1/2 miles I saw a spot in the snow where someone had fallen on the ice underneath. It was by the new bathrooms they built on the south side of the park. I picked up a pair of sunglasses they had dropped in the snow close by. I looked around and no-one was in site to chase down. About that time the sun started peaking out of the clouds and I didn't have my sunglasses, so I took that as a sign from God for me to keep them.

After the turn around, I was running at about the 6 mile mark and to my right was a coyote running next to me about a 100 yards at a good pace. Effortless for him. He was beautiful, he pulled ahead of me and crossed the path ahead giving me a couple of looks over his shoulder as he ran into the brush.

The last couple of miles to the house, the sun was out and the snow was melting quick where the sun was hitting it. The Yax Trax were hitting more and more concrete. I debated stopping to take them off, but it was hit and miss, so I kept them on through the end of the run, but I had to run on the snow off the path in a few places. Amazing how quick it can melt in the dry Colorado air and direct sun this time of year.

Garmin Watch Data for Run

10.5 Miles 1:36:58

Short/Easy Week 4 Day 34.5 Miles
Week 7 of Boston Training, 9 Weeks to Go...

283.5 Miles for the Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment