Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Moab Half Marathon

I did not have good results from my 10 week Half Marathon Training experience. I ran terribly, probably worst non-injury race I've ever run. I did 1:41:26. I'm not sure what happened. I trained well and hard, hit all my workouts except for a couple of speed workouts due to the weather, had a long 9 day taper and went into the race rested.

I started out at a 7:20 pace, my plan was to start easy and build up to a 7:00 pace and finish strong. Complete opposite. There was a stiff head wind at the start and throughout most of the race. It was overcast but the temperature was in the 50's so it was nice running once you got going except for the wind.

I ran the first 2 miles around 7:20 and ran with Jeff for the first 2 miles, He was drafting a lot so I fell behind him and then at about 2 1/2 he pulled away. I was fading already and my legs were pretty much dead, like I had not tapered. I was really hungry and felt weak. My spirit was broken. I trudged through the miles and tried to relax and just enjoy the canyon and the event, but I was so aggravated that I was racing so poorly, turning more into a training run as each mile passed. I walked through the stations at 4 and 8 to take a Gu and hydrate with water and gatorade, which helped a little. At the 10 mile water station, Tom caught up to me and we ran together through about 12 where he finished strong and I continued the fade. He ended up 2nd in his age group and finished about 30 seconds ahead of me.

Everyone else did pretty well, a bit slower thanks to the wind but I really tanked it, bad.



It was a fun trip otherwise, I felt sick for the afternoon but made the post race party at Craigs cabin with a healthy appetite.

I need to back off running a bit and focus on looking for a job. I need some time to reflect about what might have went wrong or maybe it was just a bad day with a lot of factors involved. I think I got too far out of shape before I started training for this and did not have the base to support a 10 week schedule for a decent half marathon performance.

Zach did well this weekend though. At least someone in the family was running strong. He won the 3200 at the Aurora City Meet with a time of 10:52. A PR by 8 seconds. Great Job Zach, I am so proud of you.



Zach and Dan moving through the field in the 3200 at the Aurora City Meet.
They finished 1, 2 with a sprint finish for Dan. Charlie finished 5th.

2 comments:

  1. I'll email you this afternoon, just wanted to read your RR.

    The varsity team did great, and congrats to Zach - yay! At least they didn't have to endure the fierce winds the JV team did on Friday night - that slowed the times down considerably!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Participating in the marathon is a really great experience..

    cheap tadalis

    ReplyDelete